10 Tips For Cleaning Out Your Fridge!
November 15th is National Clean Out Your Refrigerator Day. That’s right, grab your bucket of soapy water, a sponge and a garbage bag and let’s get started!
Sure, no one really wants to take on this task. But, it needs to get done! I mean, I’m sure I saw a half-eaten slice of birthday cake from September lurking in the back of my fridge last week (yuck!). And timing could not be more perfect with the holidays just around the corner – all the extra room will be great for yummy leftovers!
10 Tips for Cleaning Out Your Fridge:
- Start by removing all food and placing on the counter
- Toss containers that are open, expired items or anything moldy
- Scrub away any spills and wipe inner-sides
- Remove drawers and give them a good scrub in the sink
- When it’s time to start putting back food that has made the cut, consider labeling items with our Date It! Labels – you’ll know what’s what and when it should be tossed!
- Move on to the freezer: Toss old items you can no longer identify and food with serious freezer burn
- Now is a good time to replace your water filter if you haven’t done so in a while. (Did you know it’s best to do this every 6 months!)
- Ensure your appliance is set to the proper temperature. The FDA recommends keeping the fridge temperature at or below 40° F (4° C) and the freezer temperature should be 0° F (-18° C). See more here.
- Wipe the handle, door and sides (finally get rid of those sticky fingerprints!). If you have a stainless steel model, bring out the stainless steel wipes and banish those annoying streaks
- Now that your fridge is clean, keep nasty odours away by inserting a baking soda deodorizer
If you’re lucky and your kids aren’t hanging off of your leg by this point, consider pulling your fridge out to clean the floor underneath. If not, your secret is safe with me!
Have any tips that help keep your fridge clean year round? Comment below!