On rainy days you and your kids can have hours of fun making and playing with your own Pom Pom Monsters. They are easy to make and only take a few minutes to complete. Courtesy of The Purple Pug
What you’ll need:
- Cardboard (the thin stuff from a cereal box works best)
- A cup and bottle cap or anything about those sizes to trace
- Yarn (in lots of colours)
- Googly eyes
- Little pom poms
- Pipe cleaners
1) Use a cup to trace two identical circles onto your cardboard, the bigger the cup the longer the fur on your pom pom monster will be. I find that a coffee cup works well.
2) Use a bottle cap or something small to trace another circle in the middle of your first one so that both look like a doughnut.
3) Cut out both circles so that you have two card board rings. Do not cut through the ring to cut out the middle, use a pencil to poke a hole in the center so you can get your scissors in there.
4) Hold your two rings together so that they line up, thread the end of your yarn through the hole and tie around the ring.
5) Wrap your yarn around the ring, bringing it through the center hole and wrapping snuggly around the outside. Follow the ring all the way around creating several layers of yarn. You want to create a nice fat yarn doughnut.
6) When you think you have wrapped enough yarn around the cardboard rings you will need to cut the yarn around the outside of the ring. To do this wiggle your scissors between the two cardboard rings and cut between them around the outside of the ring. Be careful not to lose pieces of yarn as you cut.
7) Take another piece of yarn and slide it between the pieces of cardboard wrapping it around the yarn in the middle of the ring. Tie a tight knot securing the cut yarn from your ring around the middle.
8) You can now pull the yarn out of the ring and fluff into a pom pom, trim any pieces that are too long.
9) To turn your pom pom into a monster you can glue on googly eyes, mini pom poms for feet and use pipe cleaners for antenna or arms. Have fun creating different characters. Try using multi-couloured yarns and different ring sizes to make your monsters!