So you booked your kiddo in camp, now what?
Here are a few tips on how to be prepared so you never have to think of what you “should have done”!
- If your child(ren) stay at a residential camp make sure to pack together so that they help make decisions. Double-check the camp’s packing list and be sure to label everything.
- If you want to hear from your child during the summer, create a kit for them to make it super easy: pack them a bag with paper, pens and a stack of pre-stamped, pre-addressed envelopes and cards. Our Sweetnotes are great for this!
- Always express confidence to your children because going to camp, especially for the first time, can be a little nerve-racking. Let them know “you’ll do great at camp” or just encourage your children to talk about any nervousness related to going away and express trust that they can get through any separation pangs that they may feel.
- You want to be respectful of the camp’s policies. It is important for you to find out what the camp policies are regarding packing items like cell phones, electronic devices, medication, footwear and of course, snacks and food.
- If your child(ren) have allergies or medical conditions, include a note for the Camp Staff with your child’s medical information and doctor’s contact details. Our Wristbands and Allergy Labels can help provide important information and a clear warning to others.
- Be sure to ask about laundry service and how often laundry will be done. This will help you know how many clothes you should pack.
- Have an itemized list printed out to check off as you pack. You can use our What to Pack for Camp checklist to make sure you remember everything!
- Remember to include rainwear, solid closed-toed footwear for hiking activities, running shoes for active games, sunscreen, bug repellent, a camera, bathing suit, a couple of photos from home, a couple of books, and a game or small craft that your child can do with the cabin group.
- Finally, make sure to label everything! Our Ultimate Camp Packs are a great bargain and a very useful tool for labelling all your child(ren)’s belongings from toiletries to shoes and everything in between! Save your kids’ gear from the lost & found pile this summer!