Can you remember what made you feel loved as a child? Maybe you remember a special moment or having a great conversation with your parents, or just being helped with homework. As a parent now, are you making the effort to make your kids feel loved? Very often, it is the small things that count. Here are 10 simple ways to make your kids feel loved that you can start doing today:
1. Turn off your smartphone: When you get home or the kids are back from school, turn off your phone and give them your full attention for at least the first half hour to hear about their day and connect. Mealtimes are also a great opportunity to turn off the TV and all gadgets and just enjoy each other’s company without any distractions.
2. Make bedtime a precious moment: With younger kids, they will always treasure those moments when you read them a story or tuck them in with a goodnight kiss.
3. Spend quality time with each child: Spend quality one-on-one time with kids. It will make them feel special and loved just seeing you take an interest in spending time with them away from their siblings. It can be anything from playing sports, cooking, or helping with chores.
4. Look into their eyes: The best way of communicating with your kids is to look them straight in their eyes as you talk to them.
5. Smile more often: What better way of showing your love and warmth for your children than smiling every time they come into the room. This immediately puts them at ease and shows them that you are happy to see them.
6. Leave a note or message: It can be a text, a little note stuck to their bathroom mirror or a special sticker on their lunch container. It can be a joke, an encouraging phrase or anything that shows your child you are thinking of them.
7. Involve them in decision making: What to wear for school the next day or where to visit when you go on holidays can be decided together with your kids.
8. Just play with them: Kids love some downtime with their parents where they can just play, have fun, laugh and be together.
9. Save the cards and gifts: When your child gives you a homemade card or drawing, show that you care by treasuring it or putting it on display.
10. Never interrupt their stories: How can your child work on listening skills? Be a good listener yourself! When your child is sharing a story with you, don’t interrupt them and let them finish their thoughts.
Love and affection are the foundation of happiness. By showing kids this love every single day, we are giving them the greatest gift of all.
How did your parents show their love for you? Let us know in the comments below.